Monday, July 12, 2010

Captioning of Photos and Verification of Photo Information



I am in the process of captioning the photos for each chapter and will be sending out this information in the next week or two to each artist for verification of their name, title of each work, dimensions, materials, and photo courtesy. In some cases, bio and technique info may be sent for verification as well.

This information will need to be verified as correct or the corrections must be clearly noted and emailed back to me within seven days. It will be the responsibility of each artist to note any corrections to this information in a timely manner. If you will have any difficulty meeting this deadline, I will need to be notified prior to the deadline (not the day of the deadline). If I do not hear back, I will assume all the information is correct and will not be making corrections after 7 days. For corrections sent after 7 days, the photos needing caption corrections may be deleted from the book.

So everyone please take the deadline seriously as I know the majority of the artists in the book have done so. My obligation is to the publisher and to the artists who have supplied all the needed information timely. I have far more wonderful pictures than I am required to have per the book contract and I hope to keep all of them in the book.

Unfortunately, two artists in the introduction section had their single photos removed the other day because they would not sign a photo release despite numerous attempts on my part to obtain this info from them. While this was unfortunate, I feel this may profit these individuals in the long run in terms of their understanding that the inability to meet deadlines (with two long extensions in this case) has to be having a less than positive effect on their art careers. I do not subscribe to the philosophy that because we are all such creative people, we are not bound by standard conventions, deadlines and legal forms. I have noticed the the most successful artists turn any requested information around very quickly and I think this has much to do with their success.

No comments:

Post a Comment