Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Thoughts on Posting Photos of Your Accepted Work Prior to the Book Being Published

When I have work accepted for publication in a book or magazine, in contrast to a juried exhibition, I make it a rule not to post photos of the accepted works on my blog or website. While I do mention it on my resume and on my website schedule of exhibitions and events (i.e., "2010 Art Glass Today, Edited by Jeffrey Snyder, Schiffer Publishing), I never go as far as to say for example "I had four photos accepted for the magazine story, book, etc. and here are the photos."

To do so takes away the surprise of the publication. And if your friends, family, clients, and the whole world already have seen the actual photos of your art works that are going to be in the book, there really is no incentive for them or others to purchase the book or buy the magazine to read the article. As an artist you want to create anticipation for your work and what you are doing next. Advertise away about the book and your place in it of course but hold some things back.

If you look at the resumes of experienced artists, the standard practice and unwritten protocol is to simply reference the upcoming publication as mentioned above and at most, include ONE photo.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree. Besides, we're artists so we have probably told everyone we know, and some we don't know, all about the book and the pieces accepted

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Donald. Advertising and promotion is always welcomed for the book.

    ReplyDelete